Recently Approved Articles:

    jet blue Airlines Competition Why Airlines Need Competition .
    by: James Post
    The airline holds a virtual monopoly for intra-Caribbean flights, and it shows. Once they canceled a flight because of "technical reasons". Most people realised that the real reason was economy as the flight was poorly booked. No apology, let alone compensation. Another time I almost missed a flight because it left half an hour early. Since I only had hand luggage it was so convenient to kick me out.
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Airlines Competition
    jet blue Jetlag Stop Jetlag .
    by: Chance Buckman
    Jetlag has been a problem for air travelers ever since air flight was invented. Our bodies are creatures of habit and once we have adjusted to a specific time zone, they don't like things to change. When we do disrupt our circadian rhythms or biological clock to the layperson, we experience jetlag. Depending on how far we have traveled, in which direction and what shape our body is in ....
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Jetlag
    jet blue Cheap Flight Tickets How to Purchase Cheap Flight Tickets .
    by: A. Adler
    Where do you want to go? Are you ready to travel the world? Does the thought of taking a romantic getaway with the one you love just make you feel good inside? What about money? How much will it cost you to take a family vacation? Normal averages are around $1000 to $3,000 for three to five days for 4 people. That's not including airfare! This article is about introducing you to a better way ....
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Cheap Flight Tickets
    jet blue Discount Air Tickets Avail Discount Air Tickets and Save Money .
    by: Ashu Kaushik
    Regular travelers know the time when to call the travel agents for cheap air tickets or discount tickets. If you are not a frequent traveler and you do not know when to call the travel agents to avail discount tickets ....
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Discount Air Tickets
    jet blue Avoiding Jetlag Avoiding Jetlag .
    by: Catharine Allado
    Jet lag is a temporary disorder as a result of the change in time zone when traveling. It causes disruption to our body clock, which may affect our physical, emotional and mental condition. As our body struggles to cope with the current time, we might experience some common symptoms like: headaches, difficulty in sleeping at night, fatigue, loss of appetite, disorientation, dehydration and other discomforts ....
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Avoiding Jetlag
    jet blue Cheap Flights The Basics of Cheap Flights .
    by: Keith Driscoll
    You can currently get cheap flights to nearly anywhere in the world. Las Vegas, Orlando, Sydney, Singapore, Hong Kong, etc, all possess airlines cutting each other throats in favor of your custom. A low-cost carrier or low-cost airline (also identified as a no-frills, concession or budget carrier or airline) is an airline that gives commonly low fares in exchange for eliminating numerous traditional passenger services.
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Cheap Flights
    jet blue Book Airport Parking Always Book Airport Parking in Advance to Save Money .
    by: Reece Coleman
    How to save money on airport parking? Unless you like paying over the odds, you should never ever just turn up at an airport car park, without pre-booking your parking for the period of your travel! Travelling to destinations around the world is more accessible than ever, thanks to the quick & easy access to cheap flights and accommodation. However, when it comes to the parts of our holiday ...
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Book Airport Parking
    jet blue Airplane Tips For When You're on an Airplane .
    by: Angela Linton
    As intriguing as travelling on an aeroplane (airplane) is, it can become a bit uncomfortable. However, while flying, there are several things can be done to help in making the flight a bit safer and easier. Keep Shoes on when... It is usually tempting to take off ones footwear during the flight. While this is okay during the in-flight movie or as you are taking a nap, do not allow your socked feet to come ....
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Airplane
    jet blue Discounted Business Class Ticket Find a Great Discounted Business Class Ticket All the Time .
    by: J. Fernandez
    A discounted business class ticket is not hard to come across, but there are so many individuals who travel not knowing or caring how to find them. Did you know that 30% of all travellers are business travellers? What if you found a discount on every business flight, this would save you and your business tons of money in the long run. Let's go over a couple different strategies towards finding a good deal ...
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Discounted Business Class Ticket
    jet blue Lowest Airline Tickets Some Key Factors That Could Help You Get the Lowest Airline Tickets .
    by: Luis JJ Teixeira
    You need to understand that there is no such thing as discounted airfare and/or getting the cheapest airfare available. This is simply because there is no base price to work off. For example, a flight from New York to London should cost $600, but airline companies are offering it at $400. People really need to understand the reason for this is that there is no such thing as a fixed ticket price.
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Lowest Airline Tickets
    jet blue Business Travel How to Save Money on Business Travel .
    by: Micke Jack
    If your work involves a lot of travelling, and you are not lucky enough to have an unlimited expense account, then you will most likely want to keep your outgoings to a minimum if you are to get the most, financially, from your road bound endeavours. Here are some tips to help you save money on your travels ...
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Business Travel
    jet blue Airplane Tips For Children on an Airplane .
    by: Angela Linton
    The possibility of taking a six-year- old child to a wonderful destination via the airplane can be filled with both excitement and trepidation. Excitement speaks for itself, whereas, trepidation because you do not think that he/she will be able to handle such an enclosed area, especially when it's going to be a long flight. ...
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Airplane
    jet blue Cheap Flights How to Get Cheap Flights Today .
    by: Kim T Chambers
    When you are booking a flight, the advice, which I think is now common knowledge is book flights as early as possible. Business travellers will pay high prices and since they usual travel at short notice, airlines hike prices for last minute bookings.
    [Read More....]
    jet blue Cheap Flights
    jet blue travelling I Hate Flying .
    by: James Post
    Today I am travelling to visit my youngest son in California. We do this trip a couple of times each year to pick him up, take him home or simply to visit. Something strikes me though: is there such a thing as a good flight? I have travelled on most major airlines. But nothing ever seems to go to plan. The lines are long. They always manage to mess up your ticket or seats...or something. Besides the fact that I hate flying ...
    [Read More....]
    jet blue travelling
    jet blue white-knuckle-flyers Are You Afraid to Fly? .
    by: Al Carmickle
    Many people are concerned about flying and are often referred to as "white-knuckle-flyers." I retired after thirty six years as a pilot for a major airline. Every pilot during his or her career has experienced situations where they've thought it would be nice to be on the ground instead of in the air. However, such experiences are not reasons that would make us afraid to fly ...
    [Read More....]
    jet blue white-knuckle-flyers

Reassessing Elder Travel Thanks to Ronni Bennett

Reassessing Elder Travel Thanks to Ronni Bennett
One of my favorite bloggers is Ronni Bennett at As Time Goes By: What It’s Really Like to Get Older.
Ronni has so darned much helpful information and comments for all of us who are older. She keeps an official list of Elder Bloggers and even has a daily feature where guest writers do some story telling. Her blog is her vocation, I think, and I am grateful she has that vocation. I run hot and cold at Sacred Ordinary and I wish I could crank out more helpful or insightful stuff for my readers and actually to meet my own criteria as using blogging as my daily writing practice. But, like we say in the journal keeping world, "No judgments, no comparisons and give up our need to understand."

I was particularly interested in the post Ronni made today called The Potential for Elder Friendly Skies which spun off of her earlier post on Elders and the Unfriendly Skies. She writes about how difficult it is for older people to travel and she has an excellent link to a film clip about younger people simulating what it feels like to be an older person in an airport. Brava, Ronni.

I found myself writing a very lengthy comment at Ronni’s site today because flying has become such a huge hassle at my age. Part of the problem is I can’t walk as fast, I can’t pick heavy objects up and hoist them up above, and the walk from check-in to the actual gates, at least at LAX and most large airports, is a long, long way. Also, most people are impatient with older people although I’ll admit I sure met my share of utterly cranky seniors this summer. No wonder people are prejudiced about older people if these cranky ones were any example of what to expect in the golden years.

This is what I commented in reply to Ronni’s post today. I’m inserting it here because it really is relevant to what a huge hassle (and a joy with lots of memories, too) it was this summer going in and out of the airports I did. I also want to encourage you to share your “experience, strength and hope” in travel situations. We need good traveling elder role models.

Ronni, thanks so much for this post and the earlier one on Elders and the Unfriendly Skies. Having traveled by air several times this summer, I can sure identify with what you wrote about. I'm a perky 70-year-old, too, so I can only imagine how difficult it must be for those who are less mobile than I am.

In Seattle in August, I was going through security and the woman in front of me, probably “only” in her 50s, was in leg braces and using a walker. She told me that her husband recently divorced her and she was adjusting to being totally responsible for herself. She took off her braces to go through security and she had to hang on to things to get through. No one seemed remotely helpful except one young man, but he was in a rush to catch a flight. By then the walker was going through the detectors and she ultimately hobbled through security and found a chair to sit in to get her braces back on. She did hold up the line a long time, I’ll admit. A TSA person told her that next time she should ask for "special treatment," but the woman replied that she had done that twice before and it ended up being a nightmare; she once missed a flight because they couldn't process her in a timely fashion.

I had been feeling older than the hills that day because I was carrying on a suitcase and my laptop and those ramps in Seattle seemed endless. It was damned hard work, but I stopped feeling sorry for myself after speaking with her. Those business warriors and pushy people who need instant gratification aren't always that helpful. But some are, thank God. Random acts of kindness and all that. I always ask someone to put my carry-ons up for me in the overhead compartment and people are always kind when I ask. Some volunteer before I ask so I know I must look like someone who needs help.

I flew in smaller planes this summer, too, that did require two flights of portable stairs to get in and out of the plane. But I'll admit that the Jet Blue crew in particular were extremely helpful. I love Jet Blue!

Then there is the airport shuttle from the outlying parking lots. I'm frugal by nature and park my car and do the airport shuttle when it will save me money. I can't get my own suitcases up in the bus anymore. Private shuttle drivers are usually very helpful because they know they will be tipped, I guess, but the LAX public shuttle drivers are not helpful at all.

Sometimes I take taxis to and from the airport (or bug someone to take me if I'm leaving/coming at a decent hour). Most taxi drivers are very helpful, but I had one really difficult man this summer who gave me attitude. I can't help but think it was age discrimination. I do tip well, but I got the distinct feeling from this guy that he thought the old lady was going to stiff him.

My two living sisters, both in their 80s, have stopped flying and/or traveling at all, even on the tour buses they used to love. It just takes too much energy, they say--and I always project and wonder what I'll be like when I get to be their age. One uses a walker and the other a cane. Yet, I know other older people who bite the bullet and keep on traveling in spite of the energy it takes. I suppose a lot of it is mindset—and how fearful, and incapacitated you become as you age.

I am going to Greece and Turkey in late fall with a tour company and I know a few of the people I am going with. I am assuming that the company will handle all the difficult things--thank God. I haven't been across the ocean since 1990.

I won't have to rent a car, for instance, on this overseas trip. I am sick and tired of driving all over heck and gone in places where I don't know where I am--all by myself, especially at night and in bad weather. I’m divorced so most of my travels are alone. Some people find driving fun; I do not. Now--if I were rich, drivers would take me everywhere. I have wealthy friends with drivers and access to private planes. Money passes hands and everything becomes very easy. Am I jealous? You bet! Maybe I have to stop being so damned frugal.

But, I also believe in the power of positive thinking--and feeling my fear and doing it anyway.
As long as I'm whining, however, one more thing. I used to bounce back to work the next morning after returning from travel. Now it takes me a few days to fully get my energy back and my sisters tell me I haven’t seen anything yet.

But, hey, I woke up on the right side of the grass today and I do have the resources to travel. I imagine there are a lot of seniors who would travel if they could. Why does so much of life depend on money?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Source: http://redondowriter.typepad.com

0 komentar: